Networker

Re: [Networker] Windows 2000 disaster recovery - how to? SOLVED, but where is Wordpad?

2003-09-10 14:12:30
Subject: Re: [Networker] Windows 2000 disaster recovery - how to? SOLVED, but where is Wordpad?
From: "Shelley L. Shostak" <sls AT QSTECH DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 11:12:20 -0700
On Wed, 10 Sep 2003, Davina Treiber wrote:

> Olaf Zaplinski wrote:
>

> > I found the solution. If I want to restore a SMP system, I have to
> > install a
> > SMP Windows 2000, even if the target machine has only one CPU.
>
> To DR a machine you are supposed to use the same or identical hardware.
> I'm sure you will find this recommendation in Legato's DR guide. I
> wouldn't want to try it any other way.

HA!  You are indeed correct, but that is like saying you need "pixie dust" to
make it work.  And that is what makes Windows a poor choice for servers, IMHO.
As long as you have a horrible OS where it is obscure and a big cluster ****
of data stored in the registry, you will be in serious trouble.

I am a unix person and took a job at a startup and owned this active active
exchange server running W2K.  I never saw anything so convoluted in my life.
While M$ sells W2K as being more integrated and easier to manage, in reality
they have tied DNS, Mail and AD more tightly together so that you cannot
possibly integrate it with any other platform and have to rely on M$ to
provide all or nothing.  I was amazed to find out how making a change "over
here" could affect something "way over there".  Oh well, this is probably not
the place to rant.  But I'll let you Windoze folks sit there and point and
click on 200 users to change the default home directory on login while I edit
my plain text automount map in under 60 seconds.

> > And Networker definitely does *not* back up the whole machine, I can prove
> > that. For whatever reason wordpad.exe is missing after the succesful
> > restore
> Perhaps wordpad was open when the machine was backed up? Anyway, these
> days you can get a free version of vi(m) for Windows :-)

If there was no error message, then it should be on the tape.  I find this
scary, but believable.

Shelley