Networker

[Networker] Possible problem with directive

2003-08-28 12:06:15
Subject: [Networker] Possible problem with directive
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 12:05:53 -0400
Hi,

Having a problem with a directive. I'm afraid it may not be working.
It's a little confusing, so please bear with me. First, we're running
6.1.1.build38 on both storage node and primary server. Primary server is
running Solaris 8 and storage node is Linux RedHat 7.3. I have two
client instances. The first uses the standard unix directive and now
specifies 11 savesets: /pathname/olddir1-olddir5,
/pathname/data/olddir6-9 and olddir13-14.
NOTE: olddir10-12 and olddir15 were removed from the saveset listing as
described below.

I'm just using the 'olddir' naming convention for the purpose of this
posting. The real directories do not have consistent naming conventions.
The second instance backs up 'All' and uses a custom directive which
until recently has looked like this:

<< /pathname >>
null: olddir1
null: olddir2
null: olddir3
null: olddir4
null: olddir5

<< /pathname/data >>
null: olddir6
null: olddir7
null: olddir8
null: olddir9
null: olddir10
null: olddir11
null: olddir12
null: olddir13
null: olddir14
null: olddir15

Recently, I decided to get rid of directory: olddir15, and I no longer
wanted to back up the 3 directories: olddir10-12, so I removed these 4
pathnames from the list of savesets for the first client instance,
removed the directive entry for olddir15 and changed the 'null' entry to
a 'skip' for the other 3 in the directive for client instance 2 (shown
above).  Then I decided I wanted to also skip 4 directories that were
not previously listed among the savesets for instance 1. These were
being captured in the second client instance that runs 'All', but were
never listed in the directive, so I added these with 'null'. The
directive now looks like this:

<< /pathname >>
null: olddir1
null: olddir2
null: olddir3
null: olddir4
null: olddir5

<< /pathname/data >>
null: olddir6
null: olddir7
null: olddir8
null: olddir9
skip: olddir10
skip: olddir11
skip: olddir12
null: olddir13
null: olddir14
skip: newdir16
skip: newdir17
skip: newdir18
skip: newdir19

What I noticed was that when I run nwrecover from the client, I still
see all the olddirs showing up! Why would the ones that are being
skipped show up? I set the browse date to the most recent backup (and
incremental that ran last night), and they're still listed. None of
these directories has changed in several weeks. Maybe I should have all
the 'null' entries listed first? Maybe my directive is tool long? Maybe
use .nsr file on client instead? Any explanations? It's not like client
instance 1 is coming along and adding them back into the index because
they're not listed for instance 1.

Any help would be appreciated. We're running fulls this weekend, and I
don't want these guys getting backed up.

Thanks.

George