Networker

[Networker] SAN Backup Block size Woes..

2003-08-27 09:18:27
Subject: [Networker] SAN Backup Block size Woes..
From: Kent Holloway <Kent.Holloway AT ONVOY DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 16:04:37 -0500
Ok here goes, sorry this is long but I wanted to include my environment and
stuff I have tried.
Thanks in advance if you make it to the end and for any info anyone may have!

Environment -
 -Networker Server
        Solaris 8 Server (Sparc Platform)
        Legato 6.1.2
        StorageTec L180 Library (4 SDLT 220 Drives, 80 Slots)
        QLogix HBA
        Emulex HBA

 -Storage Node
        Windows 2000 Server
        Legato 6.1.2 Storage Node
        Emulex HBA (Only 1 HBA in this machine)

 -Connections
        Tape Library (L180) connected to CrossRoads 10K SCSI to Fiber Converter
        Networker Server Connected to CrossRoads 10K via its Qlogix HBA Card
and Brocade Switches.
        Networker Server using SAN Disk's via its Emulex HBA Card.
        Win2k Server connected to CrossRoads 10K via its Emulex HBA Card and
Brocade Switches.
        Win2k Server connected to SAN Disk's also via the same Emulex HBA Card.

Problem -
        Networker server (Solaris) is using 128Kbyte block sizes for the SDLT
drives.
        Win2k Storage node wants to use 32Kbyte blocks instead.
        This causes a 'Block size is 32768 bytes not 131072 bytes. Verify the
device configuration. Tape position by record is disabled.'
        After the above error the tape is marked as full even though it only
has a few megs of data on it and it moves on to the next tape. It will mark
every tape in my jukebox as full in 15-30 minutes.

Things I have Tried -
        Setting NSR_DEV_BLOCK_SIZE_SDLT=128 on both the Networker server and
the Win2k Storage Node.
        I do see media notices saying 'setting (sdlt) block size to (128 KB)'
on the Networker Server.
        Both server and storage node have been rebooted since adding the
BLOCK_SIZE variable.
        After which I also Labeled all my tapes again and checked them with the
scanner utility to make sure they say 128KB block size when scanned (From the
Networker server).

        I have contacted Legato Support and my vendor and neither of them have
been able to provide me with any solution after a month of back and forth
emails.
        I have read the archives here and all info seems to point to a registry
setting. That registry setting seems to always be tied to a SCSI card which I
don't have.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!