Networker

Re: [Networker] Converting drive to NDMP service

2003-08-26 11:00:12
Subject: Re: [Networker] Converting drive to NDMP service
From: Davina Treiber <treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 10:58:08 -0400
On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 10:48:15 -0400, Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote:

>On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Davina Treiber wrote:
>>
>>Hi Stan,
>>
>>No you don't need to re-run jbconfig, you can change a single device in a
>>jukebox from nwadmin. The complication here is that you're probably going
>>to be re-defining the same device with different attributes. What you'll
>>need to do is to first create a dummy device, perhaps just a file device.
>>Amend the jukebox resource to swap the old device with the dummy device.
>>Then delete the old device and redefine it as an NDMP device. Then you can
>>swap it back over in the jukebox and delete the dummy. Much simpler than
re-
>>running jbconfig.
>
>Thanks Davina. Can you clarify this idea? You are saying that I need to
>create a 13th device? Which device file should I use, a bogus file? Does
>this new device entry get added to the jukebox configuration, or what,
>then what?

Yes it will be a 13th device, but it will only exist for the duration of
the shuffle. You need to delete and re-add one device, but you can't do
that while it's still defined in a jukebox. You need the extra device as a
placeholder since your jukebox needs to always contain 12 devices. So the
dummy device gets defined and added in to the jukebox in place of the real
device. You will then delete the real device and re-add it as an NDMP
device. It can then go back in to the jukebox definition in place of the
dummy. It's a bit like the extra variable you always need when you're
coding a sort program in order to swap two values.

I hope I'm making some sense here....

The device can be anything, just a file device is fine, perhaps make a
directory, say /tmp/dummydisk, and call it that. You're never going to use
it in anger or label/mount any volumes on it.