Networker

Re: [Networker] problems reading tapes

2003-08-22 04:20:46
Subject: Re: [Networker] problems reading tapes
From: Davina Treiber <Treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 07:34:59 +0100
Teresa Biehler wrote:
I'm in the process of setting up our new backup environment.  Here's
what's been done:

- Installed hardware
- Installed Networker software (v6.1.3) on new Solaris server (NW server
and storage node)
- Configured library to be used by the server only
- Ran backup/restore tests - all successful
- Installed v6.1.3 storage node software on Win2K server
- Configured library so that all drives but one are controlled by the
server.  One drive is controlled by a Win2K storage node
- Change block size on Solaris server so that Solaris and Win2K are
using the same block size
- Relabeled all tapes
- Ran backup/restore tests - all successful (including writing on
server, reading on storage node and the reverse)
- Configured library so that several drives are shared with DDS between
server and storage node
- Ran lots of backups
- Tuned the server's parallelism
- Ran lots of backups

So, now here's what I'm getting when I try to do a restore:

recover -s server -c client

recover: Current working directory is /oradata/TEST/
.
. (changed time and recover location)
.
recover> recover
recover: Total estimated disk space needed for recover is 1281 MB.
Recovering 18 files within /oradata/TEST/ into /test1/oradata/TEST
Volumes needed (all on-line):
        000002 at sc10k
Requesting 18 file(s), this may take a while...
Error encountered on the following files by NSR server `server': can not
read record 968 of file 113 on 8mm AIT-3 tape 000002
        ./mirror_files/control03.ctl @ Sun Aug 17 02:21:36 2003
        ./mirror_files/redo01b.log @ Sun Aug 17 02:21:36 2003
        ./mirror_files/redo02b.log @ Sun Aug 17 02:21:36 2003
        ./mirror_files/redo03b.log @ Sun Aug 17 02:21:36 2003
        ./mirror_files/redo04b.log @ Sun Aug 17 02:21:36 2003
        ./mirror_files/redo05b.log @ Sun Aug 17 02:21:36 2003
        ./mirror_files/ @ Sun Aug 17 02:21:36 2003
        ./redo01a.log @ Sun Aug 17 02:21:36 2003
        ./redo02a.log @ Sun Aug 17 02:21:36 2003
        ./redo03a.log @ Sun Aug 17 02:21:36 2003
        ./rollback01.dbf @ Sun Aug 17 02:21:36 2003
        ./sys01.dbf @ Sun Aug 17 02:21:36 2003
        ./temp01.dbf @ Sun Aug 17 02:21:36 2003
        ./users01.dbf @ Sun Aug 17 02:21:36 2003
recover: Requesting remaining 4 file(s) from NSR server `server'
NSR server `server': busy
recover: waiting 30 seconds then retrying
.
.
.
Error encountered on the following files by NSR server `server': can not
read record 962 of file 114 on 8mm AIT-3 tape 000002
        ./fsg_data01.dbf @ Sun Aug 17 02:21:36 2003
        ./pltw_data01.dbf @ Sun Aug 17 02:21:36 2003
        ./redo04a.log @ Sun Aug 17 02:21:36 2003
        ./redo05a.log @ Sun Aug 17 02:21:36 2003
Received 0 file(s) from NSR server `server'
Recover errors with 18 file(s)
Recover completion time: Mon Aug 18 16:15:40 2003

So, to see if I can read the tape at all, I ran scanner:

root}25: scanner -iv /dev/rmt/1cbn
scanner: Opened /dev/rmt/1cbn for read
scanner: Rewinding...
scanner: Rewinding done
scanner: Reading the label...
scanner: Reading the label done
scanner: SYSTEM error: Tape label read: Bad file number
scanner: SYSTEM error: Tape label read: Bad file number
scanner: scanning for valid records...
scanner: read: -1 bytes : Not enough space
scanner: Opened /dev/rmt/1cbn for read
scanner: read: -1 bytes : Not enough space

This happened with several clients, so I wanted to see if I could read
any tapes.  So, I ran scanner on all 5 tapes that have been used for
testing (all with at least 3 GB of data, most with nearly 100 GB of
data).  I got the same results from scanner with each tape.

Are these drives SAN connected? Can both the storage node and the server
see the drives? Have you zoned the SAN? Have you disabled Removable
Storage Service on the W2K box?