Networker

Re: [Networker] Summary: Power Edition vs Network Edition

2003-08-20 11:06:31
Subject: Re: [Networker] Summary: Power Edition vs Network Edition
From: Byron Servies <bservies AT PACANG DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 08:06:26 -0700
On August 20, 2003 at 09:17, George Sinclair wrote:
> Did we ever establish whether or not Power Edition likewise bypasses the
> TCP/IP stack when communicating with the storage node servers? Do they
> likewise need to be running Power Edition to enjoy this feature?

If the storage node is on a different computer connected only by a
tcp/ip network?  Well, no.

If the tape drives are running on the same computer as the server,
then the shared memory transport will be used.  Your system tools
to show use of shared memory should show this.

Shared memory is sigificantly faster as the data from the files
can be mapped directly into the tape drive instead of being
copied for transport over the network.  In the end, bandwidth of
the backplane is the limiting factor for local backups and
eliminating a memory copy to the network stack speeds things
up significantly.

Note that a socket opened to localhost is still a tcp/ip
connection, even if some machines bypass a portion of the stack
when delivering the data.

Byron