Networker

Re: [Networker] Immediate reporting of client-level backup failures

2003-08-14 18:15:48
Subject: Re: [Networker] Immediate reporting of client-level backup failures
From: Joseph McDonald <joem AT UU DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 18:15:40 -0400
I've been wondering about the best way to do that as well.
Depending on your configuration, the backup server will retry
a client x number of times then give up, but as you said you
wouldn't really know that until the savegrp is finished.

I think the best way to know as it happens would be to write
a perl script that tails the nsr.log file and alerts on certain
types of failures:

tail -f /nsr/logs/daemon.001 | perl -lane 'if (/Failed/) { \
system qq/echo $_ | mail -s "NSR Client Failure" user-pager\@domain.com/ }'

you get the idea.

        --joey