Networker

Re: [Networker] HDS experiences ?

2003-08-13 09:11:10
Subject: Re: [Networker] HDS experiences ?
From: Robert Maiello <robert.maiello AT MEDEC DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 09:11:08 -0400
Thanks Michael,  I didn't know about nmhds.

We have ShadowImage working with Networker.  ShadowImage commands are kicked
off from the backup server (recommended by Hitachi).

The scripts weren't too hard to figure out but one would think it would have
come with some.    We use our production scheduler to kick off the commands
(and the backups) rather than Networker pre/post processing.

Its been working surprisingly well with no issues..  Highly reccommended if
one has a Hitachi.

Robert Maiello
Thomson Healthcare

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 10:43:30 +0100, Wright, Michael J <WrightMJ2 AT BP DOT COM>
wrote:

>Dear all,
>
>Our company has just aquired a big shiny new HDS 9900 (Hitachi - rebadged
by Sun) and a few Sun servers for a server consolidation project. We will be
using the "shadowimage" snapshot software to implement our backups using
NetWorker as the backup engine. Does anybody have any experiences, gotchas
or other advice with regard to using Legato NetWorker in such an environment
? I've searched high and low but there seems to be a dearth of information
about using HDS arrays with Legato, unless I've missed something blindingly
obvious. The only thing I could find was some example utilities under
http://nmhds.sourceforge.net This will certainly help when it comes to
rewriting our home-grown NetWorker solution, but if anyone else has any
useful experiences they can add I'd be most grateful.

>Current environment :- NW6.1.3, lots of Sun storage nodes, directly
attached DLT drives
>New environment :- NW6.1.3, Sun backup server with LTO-2 drives in an L700
jukebox, HDS 9900 storage array with "shadowimage" software.

>[ As an aside, there's also a very nice "nar" utility at the URL above -
sort of like "sar" but for NetWorker - haven't got it working yet though so
can't comment ]