Networker

[Networker] Networker 7.0 installation issue

2003-08-07 11:24:32
Subject: [Networker] Networker 7.0 installation issue
From: "Herrmann, Dave" <daveh AT DELTAFAUCET DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 10:24:23 -0500
I've been playing around with Networker 7.0 a little and I've noticed a
problem with the installation on Windows clients. It installed from the CD
to the server (windows 2000 based) with no problem. When I installed it to a
Windows 2000 client, it would just shut down during the copying of the files
to the client, then went through a rollback process that left the client
with the old version still installed. I uninstalled the old client and still
got the same behavior. I then rebooted following the uninstall, and was then
able to install the 7.0 client as if the machine was a new client. The same
thing happened on a Windows NT client, however the upgrade installation
worked fine on a Windows XP professional workstation.

Has anyone else seen this happen, or noted any other strange problems
upgrading to 7.0?

I also discovered 7.0 enforces licensing differently and got bit on having
too few Oracle and SQL models. That was my fault for not understanding the
licensing better and having the proper number to begin with. As it was
explained to me 6.x & earlier didn't have a way of matching the modules to
hosts to correctly determine if you had a module for every host you backup.
7.0 does, and I quickly learned where my deficiencies were!

David D. Herrmann
Novell Network and Backup System Administrator
Delta Faucet Co.
55 E. 111th St.
Indianapolis, IN 46280
Phone: 317-848-0641
Fax:     317-572-3479
Email:  daveh AT deltafaucet DOT com <mailto:daveh AT deltafaucet DOT com>

those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.
presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused
by any virus transmitted by this email.