Networker

Re: [Networker] Power Edition vs Network Edition

2003-07-29 12:03:35
Subject: Re: [Networker] Power Edition vs Network Edition
From: "David E. Nelson" <david.nelson AT NI DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 11:03:27 -0500
Hi George,

I think that what you are referring to is sockets (NetWork Edition) vs pipes
(Power Edition).  Some pipe vs socket comparisons can be found here:

http://rikkus.info/sysv_ipc_vs_pipes_vs_unix_sockets.html

We currently us the NetWork Edition.  I recently did some experiments with a
SAN storage node using an E250 w/ Solaris 8.  What I discovered was that the
save processes communicated to the nsrmmd processes via the localhost interface
(lo0).  So the picture looked like this:

FileSystem -> Save -> 127.0.0.1 -> nsrmmd -> Tape

I performed some throughput tests on the E250 (2 X UltraSPARC-II 400) using lo0
and discovered that 50 MB/Sec was all I could get through (I used iperf to
measure the throuput - http://dast.nlanr.net/Projects/Iperf/).  And so far,
that seems to be pretty true since 2x9840A's saturate the disk I/O at ~50
MB/Sec and I know that I can get 66+ MB/Sec out of 2x9840A's.

So far, I've been unable to find info on tuning lo0 for better performance.
Anybody have any info?

We are scheduled to upgrade the box to a E-280 with 2xUltraSparcIII (900 MHz)
so I'll be curious to see if our backup times go down.  When I get the time,
I'll also do another iperf test using lo0.

Regards,
        /\/elson

--
~~ ** ~~  If you didn't learn anything when you broke it the 1st ~~ ** ~~
                        time, then break it again.