Networker

Re: [Networker] Power Edition vs Network Edition

2003-07-29 11:42:10
Subject: Re: [Networker] Power Edition vs Network Edition
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 11:42:03 -0400
I seem to recall another difference in the communication between the
server and devices. Something about NetWorker being developed to work in
a networking environment where devices may not be local to the server.
As a result, I think it uses TCP/IP to send the commands to the devices
to load/unload tapes, etc. -- just the nsrjb commands, or something like
that. Anyway, I could have sworn that someone from Legato mentioned that
the Network Edition did things this way, but that the Power Edition used
a different level of communication to speed things up. Not sure, but I
recall something about this being another difference between the
editions.

George