Networker

Re: [Networker] TSM being an anti-EMC/Legato as Veritas is?

2003-07-29 03:25:56
Subject: Re: [Networker] TSM being an anti-EMC/Legato as Veritas is?
From: "Tarjei T. Jensen" <tarjei.jensen AT KVAERNER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 03:25:55 -0400
Koblentz, Evan wrote:
>Any and all stories, in private or public replies, would be appreciated.
>Anonymity respected where requested...

Our problem as Legato NetWorker customers is that the service we get from
Legato seems to be just as bad as the users of other products get from
their respective vendors.

We are left with the hope that EMC will force Legato to focus on their
product and lift the quality. In my opinion NetWorker need to be re-
engineered. If they can't do that, then Legato will continue to be
vulnerable. NetWorker is still a product that likes to work with a single
tape drive.

If sombody manages to create a better product (including support), it might
land many of the current backup vendors into trouble. They might find it
very difficult to recover if they need to re-write their software in order
to stay competitive.

I believe that if there was a proper Unix version of CommVault Galaxy,
CommVault might have done a lot better than they have. As of now, we view
them as the low end. Having said that, we will consider them for backup of
Exchange and NetWare. Neither which are particularly low end.

greetings,