Networker

[Networker] HPUX 10.20 and SGI client issues

2003-07-25 17:00:41
Subject: [Networker] HPUX 10.20 and SGI client issues
From: Stan Sander <ssande AT SANDIA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 15:00:28 -0600
This message has 2 issues in it.  I've not opened a case with Legato on
these as I thought I would come to you first.  Hopefully someone can
point me in the right direction.  For both of these issues, here is my
setup.  I'm trying to add some new clients to my server.  I ran a
savegrp -n on the server in order to test that the new clients looked
like they had a reasonable chance of getting backed up.  That brought
these problems to light.  Here are the particulars:

Server:   Sun 280R  running Solaris 8 and Networker 6.1.1  300+
previously existing clients of just about every platform imagineable.

New client #1:

SGI running IRIX 6.5.5m.  This hopefully is an easy one.  Only 1
nsrexecd process starts on the client.  I thought I had remembered a fix
for that which was to create a file called rpcbind.options in
/etc/config and place a -C in this file.  When I had the admin try this,
he said the machine failed to function correctly, although the savegrp
-n from the server looked fine.  He reported that the messages file had
an entry like  rpcbind:  unknown option -C  and was followed by cannot
register service messages for everything under the sun.  Without the -C,
the second nsrexecd will not start, and with it the admin tells me his
machine is unusable.  Does anyone know of some other way to get the
second nsrexecd going?

New clients #2, #3 and #4

HPUX 10.20 When I tried to run the savegrp -n from the server against
these machines, everything looked good except for the /usr filesystem.
I received messages that said /usr save: exited on signal 11.  I also
added a third HPUX 10.20 machine which did not have this problem.  Here
are a few more details.  Sorry I don't know the exact HP hardware on
these but I can find out if you HP gurus really want to know.  On client
#2 /usr is on it's own logical volume.  On client #3, /usr is on it's
own physical drive, and on client #4 (the one that works), /usr is just
another directory in /.  Other logical volume filesystems and HDD's on
clients # 2, 3 and 4 do not have the signal 11 problem.  Any HP gurus
want to take a stab at this?

--
Stan Sander - CSU Special Projects
Unix Systems/Server Administrator