Networker

[Networker] Getting status of an NDMP recovery

2003-07-24 12:42:23
Subject: [Networker] Getting status of an NDMP recovery
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 12:42:10 -0400
As a test, I am in the midst of recovering data from an NDMP backup from a
production system to an identically configured development system. There's
approx. 252 GB of data to be recovered for this test. This NDMP data was
backed up from a Mirapoint box and is being recovered to a different
Mirapoint box. The test Mirapoint box has a 100Mb network card.

The Legato server is running NetWorker 6.1.3 Power Edition under Solaris 9
on a Sun Enterprise 450 with a gigabit card and the SnapImage module. I
started this recover procedure via the Legato server around 7:30 last
night using the recover utility. The restore is still running. The data I
am reading from spans five tapes and it is only on the second tape (Sony
AIT-2). The tape drives are in a Qualstar tape library and all 12 drives,
including the two I have allocated to NDMP backups, are connected to our
Legato server via four LVD SCSI cards. Our Legato server has a gigabit
card, which is used for all backups, recoveries, and other network access.

So what I am interested in finding is how I can determine the status of an
NDMP recover while it is in progress. Unfortunately, there do not appear
to be any tools for this on our Mirapoint server. For example, I would
like to find the percentage of data from the backup that's already been
read off tape. Is there any way to do this with NDMP recoveries?

Unfortunately, I just had to stop this test restore because the
development machine is needed for other purposes now, but I would like to
know this for use when we do this recover test again.