Networker

Re: [Networker] Using 1 Volume at a time

2003-07-24 09:34:28
Subject: Re: [Networker] Using 1 Volume at a time
From: Yura Pismerov <ypismerov AT TUCOWS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 09:34:24 -0400
Vandecruys Kris wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> Is there a way to _force_ NetWorker (6.1.3 on Sol2.8) to only use 1 volume
> per pool at a time, keep using it until it is full, and then move on to the
> next volume ?
> I believe this is default operation.

        What you want is not doable on a per pool basis since the "target
sessions" parameter is a property of a tape device settings (so it is
the same for any pool). Networker will try to allocate another tape
drive once the number of sessions for the drive reached that value.

You have a couple options:

1. You can restrict the pool with one tape device (see "devices" in the
pool settings).
This solution works only in case when there is no other concurrent
groups running at the same time that could utilize that drive.

2. You could disable "recycle from other pools" for that pool and keep
one volume at a time labeled for the pool. In this case you should have
a script that will watch the tape usage and send alert when the tape is
full. The thing is, Networker will cry for a new volume once the target
sessions for a drive is hit or once the volume is full, so there is no
standard way to determine if you really need a new tape at that point or
you can just let it go and continue writing on existing volume.

These are form the top of my head. There might be some other options.

> TIA,
> Kris
>
> Visit our website! http://www.nbb.be
>
> "DISCLAIMER: The content of this e-mail message should not be constructed as
> binding for the National Bank of Belgium (NBB) unless otherwise and
> previously stated.
> Besides, the opinions expressed in this message are solely those of the
> author and do not necessarily represent those of the NBB, which is
> particularly the case if the content of the present message, or part of it,
> is of a private nature or does not come whithin the professional scope of the
> author."
>
> --

Yuri Pismerov, Sr. System Administrator,
TUCOWS.COM INC. (416) 535-0123  ext. 1352