Networker

[Networker] NEW stinit.def cause blocksize problems.

2003-07-19 19:17:46
Subject: [Networker] NEW stinit.def cause blocksize problems.
From: Matthew Temple <mht AT RESEARCH.DFCI.HARVARD DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 19:07:40 -0400
Networkers,

        About two weeks I put in place an stinit.def file
which included definitions for my AIT-2 and AIT-3 drives
which are in a Qualstar Library.   The definitions are below.
I put the file in place, ran stinit and went merrily on
my way.  Networker reported no errors.   Today, though, when
I attempted to restore some files from tapes made before
IY implemented the stinit.def file, I got numerous blocksize
errors and failures.   I rebooted the Networker server without
the stinit and the restore worked.

        Shouldn't Networker be able to figure out the
blocksize, regardless?   Or do I have a "before stinit"
and "after stinit" group of tapes now?

        Any help would be appreciated because I'm about to go on vacation
and I don't want to leave something very confusing to my staff.

        Thanks you in advance for anyone who can explain this.

                                        Matt Temple

============= current stinit.def file below========================

# The common definitions that can usually be used
{buffer-writes read-ahead async-writes }

# SONY AIT-2
manufacturer=SONY model = "SDX-500C" {
can-bsr scsi2logical drive-buffering
timeout=800
long-timeout=14400
mode1 blocksize=0 density=0x00  # Block Size and Density
}

# SONY AIT-3
manufacturer=SONY model = "SDX-700C" {
can-bsr scsi2logical drive-buffering
timeout=800
long-timeout=14400
mode1 blocksize=0 density=0x00  # as close as possible to st.conf entry
}

Matthew Temple                Tel:    617/632-2597
Director, Research Computing  Fax:    617/582-7820
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute  mht AT research.dfci.harvard DOT edu
44 Binney Street,  ML105      http://research.dfci.harvard.edu
Boston, MA 02115              Choice is the Choice!