Networker

[Networker] multiple save sets on netware

2003-07-18 00:56:12
Subject: [Networker] multiple save sets on netware
From: Brendan Sandes <Brendan.Sandes AT DSE.VIC.GOV DOT AU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 14:55:59 +1000
Hi All

In order to boost speed of our netware servers that have about 300GB data
partitions, I had to
1. create a client with specific sub-directories as save sets (using the
normal directive)
2. create a directive to exclude those sub-directories  listed in step 1.
3. create a new client entry with the partition getting backed up using
the directive created in step 2.

The problem I ran into last night though really scared me for awhile.
The sub-directories that I do as specific save sets do NOT show up in the
recover screen.  After a bit of a panic, I used mminfo on the server and
found that it was backing up.  After about 10 minutes I decided to do a
save set restore to the partition (different subdirectory) as it was only
a differential backup and only 75mb.  However, if this had been our once a
week full backup, then I wouldn't have had enough space to restore the
whole save set.

How do I get the restore window to show the sub-directories that I backed
up as seperate save sets?  Do I have to use null instead of skip in the
directive?

I have done this with the NT client though and it works fine.

Is it possible to instruct the server to recover a file to a client, not
just to the server?

Any suggestions?

It's a funny thing.  We've been using networker under unix for the last 3
years and never a hitch.  Trying to get the netware client to work
properly is like pulling teeth.  Hopefully, if they're re-doing it,
they'll make at least some of the configuration stuff the same.

cheers!
Brendan

SERVER:  SUN E450 solaris 8, networker version 6.1.3 build 428
CLIENT:  Netware 6, networker client version 4.21