Networker

Re: [Networker] storage node control from server

2003-07-15 11:08:03
Subject: Re: [Networker] storage node control from server
From: Frank Altpeter <f.altpeter AT BROADNET-MEDIASCAPE DOT DE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 17:05:36 +0200
Hello!

Davina Treiber wrote on 2003-07-15 10:49:34 -0400:
> >Well, doesn't make my solution simple, but not unsolvable, so it's
> >ok then. But it would have been better if one would be able to
> >control everything on the server.
>
> But you can... didn't you read my solution that I posted this morning?
Oh, didn't notice the posting for unknown reason... well, then i do
respond immediately :)

Davina Treiber wrote on 2003-07-15 05:53:21 -0400:
> export RUSER=root
> export RCMD="nsrjb -s r2d2 -C"    # optional -j rd=c3po:ADIC
> nsrexec -c c3po
>
> You can of course write a short script to make this easier.
>
> Using this method to run a -C command is technically a little long-winded.
> You're asking the server to ask the storage node to query the server for a
> volume list then send it back to you on the server. The information is of
> course already on the server and available by nsradmin. This only becomes
> significant when you use a script to query multiple large jukeboxes on
> storage nodes, but in that situation the difference in performance is
> significant.
Well, it wasn't only the -C i wanted to handle without having to
login to the storage node.
Mostly i needed it to control the tapes, but this does work, and i
was just wondering why it doesn't with -C option.

> Incidentally "master server" is not a term used with NetWorker, it's a
> NetBackup (spit) term.  :-)
Oh, doesn't have anything to do with that, i was just unsure how to
call the server to make my spelling understandable :)

With kind regards,

        Frank Altpeter - 2nd Level Support

--
broadnet mediascape communications AG
weidestrasse 122a
22083 hamburg
fon: +49 40 668610 0
fax: +49 40 668610 250
mailto:f.altpeter AT broadnet-mediascape DOT de
http://www.broadnet-mediascape.de/
Confidentiality  Notice: The information in this document and at-
tachments is confidential and may also be legally privileged.  It
is  intended  only  for the use of the named recipient.  Internet
communications are not secure and therefore mediascape communica-
tions  AG does not accept legal responsibility for the content of
this message. If your are not the intended recipient, please  no-
tify  us  immediately and then delete this document.  Do not dis-
close the content of this document to any other person, nor  take
any copies. Violation of this notice may be unlawful.