Networker

Re: [Networker] client online index problem

2003-07-15 10:54:00
Subject: Re: [Networker] client online index problem
From: Mark T Wragge <storage AT TTT DOT IE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 15:54:09 +0100
I have once had a problem with a client recovery after an upgrade in client
software.  Immediately after the upgrade I could not recover the client
data.  I then downgraded the client software to the original version and it
worked immediately.  I was working with supported configurations.

Another instance I had a server that was a few releases ahead of a client,
the client version was no longer supported but the backup was successful
each night.  Only when we tried to recover some data did a failure occur and
our attempt at recovery seemed to corrupt the client index completely.

My point here is that I have seen two problems with client indexes becoming
corrupt, once during an upgrade and once when server and client software
were not the same version.

If I was you I would try and recover the client index from a previous date
when you think it was working, you can do this using the nsrck command.
Attempt the recovery again and depending on the result work forwards or
backwards in time until you get a working index.

If you have not run any backups since the upgrade in client software you
could also try and downgrade the client back to 5.5.1 and see if the
recovery works.  I'm don't know if you could do this if you have run
backups!