Networker

Re: [Networker] Tape positioning by record is disabled.

2003-07-15 09:10:07
Subject: Re: [Networker] Tape positioning by record is disabled.
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 09:09:11 -0400
On Tue, 15 Jul 2003, O'Brien, Pat wrote:

>I posted a similar question on the list yesterday via lgtpa44945.  I would
>open a call with legato depending on your situation.  My issue is very
>intermittent, and first we went the tape cleaning routine, then we increased
>the tape cleaning frequency.  I am being told to upgrade from 6.1.1 to 6.1.3
>for a eof tape positioning fix.  Though I run under tru64, I also understand
>this could happen in other platforms, thoug I do not have the list.  And
>then I also completely dougt most things a legato rep tells me, cuz they do
>have a bad track record with me for the most part, though there are a few
>good ones here lurking on the list under suedonyms.

Be careful with running 6.1.3 on Tru64 Unix. I tried running the 6.1.3
power edition server under Tru64 Unix 4.0f with non-good results. The nsrd
daemon would sometimes run wild and it would consume almost all available
swap space and bring our Compaq DS20 to its knees. This was a year or so
ago when 6.1.3 first became available so this issue may have been resolved
since than. At the time, my employer did not have a Legato support
agreement so I did not report the problem.