Networker

Re: [Networker] Tape positioning by record is disabled.

2003-07-15 04:32:32
Subject: Re: [Networker] Tape positioning by record is disabled.
From: Davina Treiber <treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 04:32:28 -0400
On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 15:32:39 -0400, Paige, Steve <Steve.Paige AT CHEP DOT COM>
wrote:

>Thanks for the reply, from what I understand Solaris 8 does not use the
st.conf because the devices are now in the kernel.  Our Solaris 8 NetWorker
server does not have a st.conf file configured.  Right before the message:
Cannot decode block. Verify the device configuration. Tape positioning by
record is disabled.  We see a writing I/O error, so I am thinking the tape
posistioning message was related to the media error (and I have read that
in the Legato Error Messages pdf from Legato)

>Anyone else want to comment on the st.conf on Solaris 8 (whether it is
needed or not)?

st.conf entries are optional if you have the st driver (108725) patched to
a sufficient level to support the devices you use. Some people still prefer
to configure the file so that they know exactly how their devices are set
up.

The message you are seeing can mean a misconfigured device, but it is also
one of those vague messages that can mean various types of I/O errors
caused by a multitude of reasons. As Tarjei pointed out, drive cleaning
issues could be the cause. Sometimes it could mean SCSI or SAN issues,
especially if it follows some other more meaningful message. Occasionally
it can be faulty or incompatible media.