Networker

[Networker] Ejecting volumes from SILO with Windows GUI

2003-07-14 15:10:09
Subject: [Networker] Ejecting volumes from SILO with Windows GUI
From: Dan Szkola <szkola AT TANIS.CSO.NIU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 14:09:59 -0500
Hello all,

I have a small problem that maybe others have dealt with
or quite possibly could be caused by something we are or
are not doing.

We are using STK Library Station running on a mainframe
which controls the robot in a STK 9730 Silo. The Networker
server is a Sun E3500.

The problem is basically that our storage manager and her
employees are Windows users and not at all familiar with
Solaris. They all use the networker GUI on Windows PCs.
According to Legato, you cannot eject volumes from a 9730
in a Silo setup using the Windows GUI. So our Unix Systems
Programmers have to get involved and do nsrjb's on the command
line anytime tapes need to be ejected.

The storage group needs to be able to do this on their own.
What I am looking for is a solution to this problem that does
not involve allowing the storage group to have root access to
the E3500.

If we were running ACSLS on a Solaris box, would it make any
difference?

Before I start writing a CGI program that will deal with this, I
wanted to see if others have dealt with this issue.

--
Dan Szkola
Northern Illinois University