Networker

Re: [Networker] ndmp and parallelism

2003-07-10 02:23:24
Subject: Re: [Networker] ndmp and parallelism
From: Itzik Meirson <imeirson AT MBI.CO DOT IL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 09:22:13 +0200
Peter,
Whatever technology (Netapp, Celerra, SnapImage, DinoStor, etc) you use
for your NDMP tape server you will only to have one session at a time
per device.
Multiplexing many sessions to the same device is not part of the current
NDMP 4 protocol implementation.
You should remember that using 3 way mode backups put a heavy burden on
the network and require processor cycles to move the data across the
network.
If you use current tape drive technologies (as LTO, SDLT, AIT3, M2, etc)
you will also need a very good network connection between all
components, preferably a private switched 1Gb+ network.
Itzik