Networker

Re: [Networker] Enabling Compression in Solaris

2003-07-08 23:46:58
Subject: Re: [Networker] Enabling Compression in Solaris
From: Ty Young <Phillip_Young AT I2 DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 22:46:37 -0500
You can direct NetWorker to perform compression of the data on the client
before it's sent over using the method you provided (namely, using UNIX
with compression directives), and, provided you've set up NetWorker to use
device paths for your tape drive in its uncompressed format (i.e.
/dev/rmt/0bn) you should theoretically be able to achieve your results.

One gotcha, however:   historically a lot of people have had *major*
performance hits on their clients configured to compress the data before
sending it over.   I don't know many people who prefer software compression
to hardware compression, for this reason.

-ty

Phillip T. ("Ty") Young, DMA
Backup/Recovery Systems Mgr.
Network Services Group
i2 Technologies, Inc.

             Franklin Sagayno
             <fsagayno AT PBC DOT CO.
             Sent by: Legato           NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
             NetWorker                                                  cc
             discussion
             <NETWORKER@LISTMA                                     Subject
             IL.TEMPLE.EDU>            [Networker] Enabling Compression in
                                       Solaris

             07/08/2003 10:36
             PM

             Please respond to
             Legato NetWorker
                discussion
             <NETWORKER@LISTMA
              IL.TEMPLE.EDU>;
             Please respond to
             Franklin Sagayno
             <fsagayno AT PBC DOT CO.

Hello All,

First I want to thank the people who replied to my previous posts.

Currently I'm using the /dev/rmt/2hbn for my old 15/30Gb DLT Autoloader and
the directive is "Unix Standard Directives". During backup my DLT will get
full at 15Gb, I wan't to enable compression on my DLT Drive. My question
is, how to enable the compression? Should I change the directives into
"Unix with compression directive" then compression will be enabled? or
should I configure my Autoloader to use /dev/rmt/2cbn instead of 2hbn, (I
understand "c" in 2cbn means "compressed")? Everyone's help is highly
appreciated.

TIA.

Frank