Networker

Re: [Networker] Problem with Legato 6.1.3

2003-07-03 10:10:20
Subject: Re: [Networker] Problem with Legato 6.1.3
From: Donovan O'Brien <dobrien AT SIAC DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 10:10:18 -0400
We were having similar problems for a long time until we determined it to
be tcp parameters on certain clients.  In our instance, we had two clients
with tcp pararameters configured very small which caused the save sessions
to close and the devices to go into a "Ready for writing, idle" state that
would leave the tape drive useless until a restart of the associated nsrmmd
was performed (sometimes Networker itself had to be cycled).  When watching
from the gui all one would see is a fast backing quickly reduced to 60
Kb/sec with no increase in data size backed up and eventually the
dreaded "Ready for writing, idle".  The troublesome clients were two HP-UX
11.0 systems, below is the values we set to overcome this issue:

  tcp_keepalive_interval=600000
  tcp_ip_abort_interval=600000
  tcp_keepalive_detached_interval=60000
  tcp_time_wait_interval=720000
  tcp_ip_abort_cinterval=7200000

These may be a bit high if you are worried about security but it worked for
us.  Have not seen it since, our server at the time was running 6.1.1.