Networker

Re: [Networker] slow or failed backup due to too many files

2003-07-02 15:40:56
Subject: Re: [Networker] slow or failed backup due to too many files
From: T M <loxley99 AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 15:40:51 -0400
Adam,

Any time a system with a  large number of files is experiences slow backups
(and recovers), I will always point to the possible solution of dispersing
or 'off loading' some of the files to another system.
I am not sure which particular database these files are, but if you are able
to break up this information and divide it among some other machines, then I
think you would be on the right track towards a solution.

I would be remiss to not ask you if all these machines you have tried this
on are equally powerful or not?  Is there ample disk space, CPU power,
memory here?
Likewise, do you have current hardware drivers? Is your Operating System
sufficiently patched? Are there any possible firmware issues in your network
peripherals that could be to blame?

My $0.02

Good luck,
Tom