Networker

[Networker] slow or failed backup due to too many files

2003-07-02 13:44:41
Subject: [Networker] slow or failed backup due to too many files
From: Adam Jackson <adam.jackson AT BELL DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 13:34:42 -0400
I have a lan running 100m full backing up a number of Sun boxes, all of the
boxes backup very quickly expect one (<100k/s at times).
The server I am having problems with has a very large file system (in terms of
number of files).  It contains an old database that uses a flat file
system.  The database consists of about 700,000 plus very small files layed out
on many individual directories, which I believe is the result of the
slow backups which ultimately end up failing.  I have transferred this
filesystem to other machines and still have the same problems, so I am
pretty sure it is not the machine, but the large number of small files on it.

Is there any way to tweek networker to handle backing up a large number of
small files ??

Thanks in advance for you help

Adam
adam.jackson AT bell DOT ca