Networker

[Networker] Two questions on use of save command?

2003-07-02 12:09:52
Subject: [Networker] Two questions on use of save command?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 11:37:36 -0400
Hi,

Two questions on save command:

1. In checking the man pages for the save command I see this '-S' option
to prevent the creation of any index entries. This seems unnecessary,
however, if the specified pool already has the "Store index entries"
field set to 'No'? So, if I ran a full on /pth as:

save -s server -bMypool -lf /path

and Mypool had the "Store index entries" set to 'No' then what happens
versus running the same command with the '-S' option? Is it just
redundant? What if you have the field set to 'Yes' and you ran the
command with the '-S'. Would it change the outcome? Seems to me that
it's only useful for turning it off, assuming it's on for the pool. Am I
correct here?

2. How do you prevent the client's index from getting written to tape if
you're running the above save command? Normally, when using a group, the
"No index save" option can be checked, but assuming you're not using the
group to do the save then how do you turn that off? I didn't see this in
the man pages. Maybe it gets turned off automatically if the specified
pool has "Store index entries" set to 'No' and/or if you're using the
'-S' switch?

Thanks.

George