Networker

[Networker] Buffering

2003-06-23 12:07:34
Subject: [Networker] Buffering
From: Jack Lyons <jack.lyons AT MARTINAGENCY DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 12:07:21 -0400
Can anyone explain how Legato buffers incoming streams - if it does at all.

I have 1 server that has a 1 TB data (don't say move to SAN, that is already
in the process) with a gigabit Ethernet link directly to the Legato server.
I have performed a full backup in about 12 hours when it was the only thing
running, but during normal backups it takes a lot longer.  For instance this
morning, I see it running at 3 MB/s versus the rated 12-15MB/s that the tape
drives are capable.  There is another server that is being backed up at the
same time (the second server is 5 years old and only 100BaseT)  I am
thinking that the tape maybe running at 3MB/s because of the second stream
and I was wondering if there was a way to have the server buffer the stream
so that it wouldn't slow down the other backup. - if this is a stupid
question, please be gentle with the flames.

Alternately, should I dedicate 1 or 2 tape drives to just backing up the big
server.  I am looking at breaking up the 3 400GB volumes into different
savesets to speed it up, but that is seeming to be a lot of work to
maintain.

Jack

This email and its contents may be confidential.  If it is and you are not
the intended recipient, please do not disclose or use the information within
this email or its attachments.  If you have received this email in error,
please delete it immediately.  Thank you.