Networker

[Networker] Oracle module for Networker

2003-06-13 13:06:39
Subject: [Networker] Oracle module for Networker
From: Craig Ruefenacht <Craig.Ruefenacht AT US.USANA DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 11:04:44 -0600
Hi,

We are in the process of redoing our scheme for backing up several Oracle
databases.  Currently we perform a hotbackup to disk using Oracle and then
backup the hotbackup files.  But this takes up disk space which we are
increasingly short on.

Our maintenance windows also don't allow us to stop the database and back it
up cold either (it takes too long).

What we are interested in is what kind of performance the Oracle module has,
and what other sites have experienced using it.    I'm also assuming (from
the literature I've read) that RMAN is used on the Oracle end and hands off
the data to Legato for backup, and vice versa for restores.

Our Oracle version is 8.1.7 running on (mostly) HP-UX 11i.

Craig Ruefenacht
UNIX Systems Administrator
USANA Health Sciences, Inc.