Networker

[Networker] Réf. : Re: [Networker] What is a ClientPak ?

2003-06-09 16:39:53
Subject: [Networker] Réf. : Re: [Networker] What is a ClientPak ?
From: Alexandre Déry/dgt/sct <Alexandre.Dery AT SCT.GOUV.QC DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 16:41:58 -0400
Thanks for the quick answer,

Ok, but with that in mind, why would a ClientPak for NT be installed on an
NT Server (Networker 5.7) ???? D'you think the other admin was drunk or
something ? ;)

As I said I'm going to upgrade that server to v7 in the near future. The
new server will have to backup NT/2000 boxes and Solaris 2.6/8 boxes. No
other Unix flavors.
Will I need a Clientpak for Solaris/Unix ? Cause the sales guy is talking
to me about a "Legato Networker Client Connection for Windows/Unix - Qty
25". Would that also work ?

Thanks a lot !

Alexandre Déry
Technicien
Direction des services d'inforoute
DGT / SSIGRI
1500-E, rue Jean-Talon Nord 1er étage
Sainte-Foy (Québec) G1N 4T6
Téléphone: (418) 646-9273
Télécopieur: (418) 528-0418

Phillip_Young AT i2 DOT com
2003-06-09 16:25

        Pour :  Legato NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT
EDU>, Alexandre
Déry/dgt/sct <Alexandre.Dery AT SCT.GOUV.QC DOT CA>
        cc :
        Objet : Re: [Networker] What is a ClientPak ?

A ClientPak enables the ability for a server to back up non-like
platforms.
For example, if I'm a Solaris NetWorker server, unless I have a ClientPak
for NT installed, I cannot back up NT boxes.  (For that matter, if I'm a
Solaris server, I also cannot back up AIX, HPUX, etc.; for this I would
need a ClientPak for UNIX installed as well.)

Hope this helps!

-ty

Phillip T. ("Ty") Young, DMA
Backup/Recovery Systems Mgr.
Network Services Group
i2 Technologies, Inc.

             Alexandre
             Déry/dgt/sct
             <Alexandre.Dery@S                                          To

             CT.GOUV.QC.CA>            NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
             Sent by: Legato                                            cc

             NetWorker
             discussion                                            Subject

             <NETWORKER@LISTMA         [Networker] What is a ClientPak ?
             IL.TEMPLE.EDU>

             06/09/2003 03:24
             PM

             Please respond to
             Legato NetWorker
                discussion
             <NETWORKER@LISTMA
              IL.TEMPLE.EDU>;
             Please respond to
                 Alexandre
               Déry/dgt/sct
             <Alexandre.Dery@S
              CT.GOUV.QC.CA>

Hi,

I have to deal with a Legato Networker 5.7 server which I haven't
installed (nor bought the software for it myself). And you guessed it, the
person who installed it is long gone... Same old story.

There is a "ClientPak for Windows NT" license installed on it and I don't
what it's used for (or what it was meant to be used for either). The
license type is "D25".

Currently, this server only backs up NT/2000 clients, with the Lotus Notes
Module. But in the future (after the upgrade to v7), it will backup Unix
(Solaris) clients, and NT client with the Exchange module.

So the question is : What is a ClientPak for Windows NT, and do/will I
need it ?

Thanks a lot for helping out this confused admin ;)

Alexandre Déry
Technician