Networker

[Networker] AIT2 device cinfig in Solaris

2003-06-09 10:50:29
Subject: [Networker] AIT2 device cinfig in Solaris
From: Oscar NOSPAM Olsson <spam1 AT QBRANCH DOT SE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 16:50:20 +0200
I get some warnings from time to time, when it tries to do tape
positioning by record. It complains that the block size is 32k instead of
64k. An example message below:

Jun  9 16:39:56 britt root: NetWorker media: (notice) Volume "SL000010" on
device "/dev/rmt/8cbn": Cannot decode block. Verify the device
configuration. Tape positioning by record is disabled.

I remember that I had some problems finding a good configuration for the
AIT2 drives for Solaris7 when we first installed the drives. It has been
an ongoing issue since then. However, since it doesn't seem to affect the
backup reliability, I haven't bothered looking into it before. But I am
curious about what could be causing this, and more important, how can it
be fixed? :)

Below is an excerpt from st.conf on the backup server:

tape-config-list=
        "SONY    SDX-500C","SONY AIT2 8mm","SONY_AIT";

        SONY_AIT = 1,0x36,0,0xd679,4,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0;

name="st" class="scsi"
        target=0 lun=0;

name="st" class="scsi"
        target=1 lun=0;

name="st" class="scsi"
        target=2 lun=0;

name="st" class="scsi"
        target=3 lun=0;

name="st" class="scsi"
        target=4 lun=0;

name="st" class="scsi"
        target=5 lun=0;

name="st" class="scsi"
        target=6 lun=0;

How is one supposed to REALLY know what the best definition is? I have
seen several suggestions for the same drives in several places. The
firmware on the drives themselves is fairly recent.

One more RTFM question, the memory chip on the AIT2 tapes, how is it used
by networker, if at all? Does it need some kind of special configuration,
or is it used by default automatically?

//Oscar