Networker

[Networker] Linux servers with All specified as the saveset. (Serious bug/RFE)

2003-06-06 12:21:49
Subject: [Networker] Linux servers with All specified as the saveset. (Serious bug/RFE)
From: Paul Brears <paul AT IFL DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 17:21:42 +0100
We've just noticed something rather concerning with a Linux client on our
network.
We had specified 'All' as the saveset and had expected it to backup all the
mounted filesystems.

This isn't unfortunately wasn't the behaviour we saw.

One mount point had been specified as /usr/local/ and NetWorker didn't see this
filesystem when it
used savefs to decide what firesystems to backup. (It didn't report any errors,
or anything to
indicate it didn't like this mount point, it just ignored it.)
We only noticed when a colleague decided to try and recover some data on that
partition and was
rather disappointed.
If you remove the trailing / from the mount point in fstab everything works OK.
The client was running RedHat 7.0 (with NetWorker 6.1.1) and the filesystem had
been created in this
way at install time. The other mount points had been created without a trailing
/.
It would appear that it only affects systems where labels are used in fstab
(RedHat 7.0 >) I've
reproduced this on RedHat 9.0 as well.

We've raised this with our support provider and they are suggesting this is a
bug in Linux because
Linux strips the trailing / from the mount point in mtab and because these are
different, NetWorker
doesn't backup the filesystem.

I would recommend anyone backing up Linux servers to check that they are
actually backing up
everything that they think they are.

I'm going ask this to be raised as an RFE but it would be helpful to know if
anyone else has seen
this problem.

Paul

Paul Brears
Senior Internet Development Engineer
RM plc
Tel:       +44 1235 854689
pbrears AT rm DOT com / paul AT ifl DOT net