Networker

[Networker] consistent errors writing to a certain brand of DLT IV tape

2003-06-02 09:53:20
Subject: [Networker] consistent errors writing to a certain brand of DLT IV tape
From: Ty Young <phillip_young AT I2 DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 09:53:24 -0400
This is a weird one.   I have a bunch (+/- 50) of DLT IV tapes which were
purchased at least four years ago and have been written to several times.
Recently I've discovered that if I write to them with DLT8000 drives,
virtually 100% of the time I can write no more than about 1-3 GB before (1)
a media failure occurs, (2) the tape is marked as full, and (3) any
savesets currently being written to tape are restarted from the beginning.

Using the same drive, but other manufacturers' tapes, I can usually exceed
80-100GB per tape.

I can't find a manufacturer on the tape itself, but it's marked like this
(pretty descriptive, huh ??  :-)

DLT              CompactTape IV(tm)

(the "DLT" logo has four horizontal lines running through it.)

If anyone has information on who makes/made these tapes, I'd love to know.
Thx.