Networker

Re: [Networker] Why is an old saveset still browsable?

2003-06-02 09:35:40
Subject: Re: [Networker] Why is an old saveset still browsable?
From: Ty Young <Phillip_Young AT I2 DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 08:35:30 -0500
All,

This bug (I believe it's known as LGTpa33980) caught me a few months ago.
Initially the Legato TSE gave me a patch (a new nsrmmdbd for Solaris,
build 6.1.1), but after we identified a bug in the patch, we went ahead
and upgraded to 6.1.3 (from 6.1.1.)   Problem solved, for us.    (In
another posting on this listserv, I talked about how fixing this bug
allowed us to "regain" about 700 tapes to our recyclable stock, because
just *thousands* of ss's became recyclable.)  Pretty cool.

-ty

Phillip T. ("Ty") Young, DMA
Backup/Recovery Systems Mgr.
Network Services Group
i2 Technologies, Inc.

Davina Treiber <treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
Sent by: Legato NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
06/02/2003 06:50 AM
Please respond to
Legato NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU>; Please
respond to
Davina Treiber <treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>

NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: [Networker] Why is an old saveset still browsable?

On Fri, 30 May 2003 18:25:56 -0500, Rohrich, James <James.Rohrich AT UOP DOT

wrote:

>This is something that Legato needs to document more completely. We
should
>not need to run tests to understand how Legato expires and recycles
>savesets, etc.
>
>Legato Staff:
>
>If you have an internal document that treats such matters and it can be
>released, would you pleas make it available to this group. If the full
>document cannot be released, would someone cut and paste the appropriate
>sections from the document that treats these issues.

That's not the point. It should just work, it's just that in this case
it's
not quite working properly. It's only something we need to understand
because it's a bug, and when we're all using a fixed version we won't need
to understand it, because it will work.