Networker

[Networker] netware client perfromance problems

2003-05-27 17:16:11
Subject: [Networker] netware client perfromance problems
From: Brendan Sandes <Brendan.Sandes AT DSE.VIC.GOV DOT AU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 17:53:24 +1000
Hi All

SERVER:  Solaris 8, version 6.1.3 solstice backup (rebadged legato
networker)
CLIENT:  Netware 6, Client version 4.21 (the latest I could find)
I have a problem with the speed of the backups of one of our netware
servers.  It doesn't ever seem to go above 3-5 mb/second on 100baseT full
duplex (both cards and switches have been checked).  All of our netware
clients get this sort of speed, so I believe that it is something to do
with the client itself.  This is the same even on gigabit interfaces.
Tapes used are LTO.

Checked the performance statistics on both the netware and Solaris boxes
Neither has high performance readings for anything I could find.  The
solaris box is barely registering any load.
The netware box is running in single digits cpu utilisation.  Low IO
utilisation.  Network utilisation about 8-10% no errors occurring on the
card.

The problem I have is that I need more speed.  There is a 260GB used (out
of about 320GB) partition that takes about 18hours to back up.  The
problem is that the netware client is significantly different to the other
clients.
Things that I've investigated so far to get multiple save streams
Guess what, no command line save.
I then thought I'd use save from the server.  Can't do.  The netware
client requires a username and password which there isn't an option for in
the command line.
I then thought I'd try using a wild card in the client definition -
doesn't work.

My question is, how can I get multiple save streams from the netware box
without having to type in individual directory paths.  Individual
directory paths is not a suitable option as it is at the level where
someone may just add another one & not tell the backup administrator so it
needs to be a scripted solution.

Hopefull someone has solved this before.  had a look through the archives
on netware and didn't find much though.  Or if you know of a way of
boosting the performance on the netware side, that would also be good

Cheers!
Brendan