Networker

Re: [Networker] Initial Report on Functionality improvements in NW7 using Adv _Fil e devices

2003-05-23 18:11:14
Subject: Re: [Networker] Initial Report on Functionality improvements in NW7 using Adv _Fil e devices
From: "Thomas, Calvin" <calvin.thomas AT NACALOGISTICS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 15:11:08 -0700
Yes. Staging.
You turn on the automatic stageing under customize > staging.
I have been working with the high/low water mark, and it has several quirks
to be aware of...

1. If you set high water mark to 50%, and low water mark to 49%, anytime the
amount of files on your file device goes over 50%, it "should" stage to tape
the same amount of files every day, thereby keeping the file device 50%
full.  However in practice if you have one or more LARGE file sets and they
are included in the file sets to stage, your stage group can vary by as much
as the size of this large file. That means my stage can be 50GB up to 125GB.
(My exchange backup is 75GB)  The variation from 50GB to 125GBs during daily
staging operations can throw your scheduling out the window if you have a
slow jukebox (like me).

2. The staging operation is checked every X minutes, or X hours... Whatever
you set it to.  HOWEVER, in reality this means what?  I am not sure at this
point if it is X hours past midnight or X hours past the time you configure
and start the automatic staging.  If it is past midnight and you set it to 5
hours, and it checks and starts staging at 5AM, 10AM, 3PM, 8PM, does the
next staging happen at 1AM, or does it start over at 5AM again?  My problem
is I don't want the staging to start untill the cloneing is done, or it will
block the cloneing from finishing.  If the staging happens at different
times each day it will be useless for me.  I haven't found a difinitive
answer to this in the manual yet.  Anybody?

2. Even when it doesn't have this problem it sometimes seems to calculate a
much higher number than it should.  Yesterday, it calculated it needed to
stage 200GB of data instead of the 50-125 I was expecting.  I had to kill
the staging process and run the recover space option to clean up enough
space to allow the nightly backup to work.  If it had only staged it's
expected 50-125GB of data, It would have worked OK for me.

3. I experimented on 6.1.1 with multiple file devices, but they simply
multiplied the complexity without resolving any of the issues with 6.1.1
file devices.  I gave up on them and went to a single file device. I have
not experimented with 7.0 multiple file devices, but I don't think it will
prove that useful.  If the files are backed up on disk A, and the stageing
happens from disk A and the cloneing trys to happen from disk A, the fact
that you have a disk B won't help.  In fact, when you set up Adv_File
device, it creates a RO copy of itself for you to use.  IE, you will see TWO
devices with the same name, only one of them will be marked RO.  This is the
device that staging and cloneing happen from.   The main device does the
backups at the same time.

4.  Adv_File has an interesting new feature that I am going to experiment
with. Sounds VERY promising!
If your Adv_File device gets full on backup, it will halt for 10 minutes and
try to free up space. If there are a bunch of expired save sets on the
device, it will remove them automatically and then continue the backup as if
nothing ever happened.
        What this means is if you backup 50GB a day (like me) and have 300GB
of space (like me) and set the retention time to 3 days, 150GB of data will
be guaranteed to be available for recovery and the other 150GB will be
there, but when NW needs more room, it will automatically delete the expired
save sets to make room for the new saves.  Neat huh?  If you do automatic
cloning of EVERYTHING, you will have a copy on tape, and a copy on the file
set at all times. Even better HUH?  I haven't figured out if I would also do
automatic stageing in this instance, but I expect to find out during
testing.

Has anyone else tried this yet?

Calvin E. Thomas
UNIX System Adminsitrator