Networker

Re: [Networker] LTO speed is slow

2003-05-21 15:46:42
Subject: Re: [Networker] LTO speed is slow
From: "Day, David" <david.day AT CENTERPULSE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 14:46:28 -0500
Have you tried any native backups to compare speed?  I use the same drives
on a Solaris system and get slower than expected results but still 8-18gb/s.
My drives are HVDS and so are a bit slower than LVDS.  Early on I had to
make changes to a config file (st.conf) to help performance with Legato
while TAR backed up at a normal rate without the changes.

Are there any hotfixes related to your hardware?  Can you tell what the sync
rate is on your 39160?  I had to step down a 29160 to help with a DLT8000 on
a W2K box.

Using local data for testing is a great idea.  Takes any transitory network
latency out of the formula.  I have some W2K clients that give me 2-3mb/s on
a good day while most W2K hosts can generate at least 8mb/s.

I've not looked on a Windows server.  Can you play with blocks or buffers in
that environment?  Do you have any SNMP tools for the drive to check for
errors or problems?  I get some info through a controller on my Galactica
library and find that information sometimes helpful.

David