Networker

Re: [Networker] Problem with jbconfig on Solaris 9

2003-05-14 16:08:40
Subject: Re: [Networker] Problem with jbconfig on Solaris 9
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 16:07:50 -0400
On Wed, 14 May 2003, Mark Bradshaw (BTOpenWorld) wrote:

>Hasn't Solaris 9 done away with needing to modify the st.conf file for known
>device types? I could be well wrong with regards AIT-2 devices, but
>certainly for LTO drives you don't need an entry in st.conf *unless* you
>want to override the standard Solaris behaviour. You might find it better to
>not have an st.conf entry and see if that works any better.

Solaris 9 still needs a modified st.conf file for AIT-2 devices.

>Also try using a starting file number of 0 instead of 274 during the
>mmrecov. This should make scanner step through the tape looking for your
>bootstrap and may get you round your current problem if it is caused by some
>form of mis-config on the tape drive side. It'll take a *lot* longer, though

I finally got mmrecov to work. Thanks to trouble-shooting help from Legato
Tech support, an error was found in the way my server's st.conf file was
modified. After fixing the error and doing a "reboot -r", I was able to
use mmrecov successfully. I am still waiting for an "nsrjb -I" to finish
inventorying the 600 tapes in the library that's attached to the Legato
server. So far, the inventory is half way through and its not producing
any errors or unusual messages.

Thanks to all of you who responded to my plea for help. I am glad Legato's
tech support was able to work so effectively with me on this issue.