Networker

Re: [Networker] Can't inventory tape on certain drive?

2003-05-14 13:30:31
Subject: Re: [Networker] Can't inventory tape on certain drive?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 11:55:05 -0400
Yes, the input/out put error is standard when labeling a new "blank"
tape. However, this particular tape was labeled on one of the 4 drives
sometime ago. Which, I don't recall. The tape is no different than any
of the others as near as I can tell. Same batch, vendor, etc. Also, I
should note that is was labeled into the same pool as the others. The
problem is very strange. There are obviously a number of things one
could try:

1. Reboot both storage node (it manages the LTO library) and primary
server
2. Power cycle the LTO library
3. Clean the drive
3. Delete the volume and index entries and scan the tape, preferably on
the affected drive

I decided to do nothing as this appears to be an anomaly. I just
documented the problem so next  time it happens, I'll be sure to check
my documentation to see why.

George