Networker

Re: [Networker] Write protected tapes

2003-05-06 12:22:13
Subject: Re: [Networker] Write protected tapes
From: Davina Treiber <treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 12:22:10 -0400
On Tue, 6 May 2003 11:06:40 -0400, John Seyller <seyller AT CLEMSON DOT EDU>
wrote:

>Hopefully someone has found a work around to this long standing
>networker problem.

You shouldn't be looking for a workaround for this, you should be looking
for a fix. If NetWorker behaves idiotically enough to repeatedly attempt to
label the same tape that it knows is write protected, then this is
obviously a bug. This is something that annoys me too, but in all the
environments I have worked in, the tapes should not have been write
protected anyway, and they have only been set to write-protect due to
operator error.

It is possible that a fix has been introduced in a version of NetWorker
produced more recently than the old version you have. LGTpa17547, for
example might fix it, that is fixed in 6.1.2 and later. You should speak to
your support provider about this.

Perhaps if you have to find a workaround, you need to have another tape
drive for your restores, rather than one that is also used for non-
NetWorker purposes. Then you can stop using write-protect once and for all.