Networker

Re: [Networker] Merits of cloning versus dual backups?

2003-04-21 14:06:26
Subject: Re: [Networker] Merits of cloning versus dual backups?
From: Teresa Biehler <tpbsys AT RIT DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 14:05:22 -0400
Ok, based on this, it sounds like sending original tapes off site is a
good idea since their data is "verified".  I can't figure out how to get
our retention scheme to work well with this idea, however.

Here's what I want to accomplish:
o Daily backups with browse/retention period of 5 weeks (dailies are
incr, level 1 or full depending on the client type)
o Weekly backups with browse/retention period of 3 months
o Monthly backups with browse/retention period of 1 year

Here's one way to do it with clones going off site:
o Weekly and monthly clones are created to go off site.
o Weekly clones have the same browse/retention as weekly backups, but
they are in off site storage rather than being online for fast
recoveries.
o Create clones called either weekly or monthly depending on when they
are written.  Monthly tapes are created the first full week of the
month.  This is done with a script in cron.
o Daily backups, weekly backups, weekly clones and monthly clones are
all written to different pools.

So, how do I do this same retention scheme but have my clones stay on
site and the original backup tapes go off site?

OR

Is there some other way to verify that the data written on the clone
tapes is good/readable?

Thanks.
Teresa