Networker

Re: [Networker] SAN Tape Drive / Storage / Host Connectivity

2003-04-17 04:16:37
Subject: Re: [Networker] SAN Tape Drive / Storage / Host Connectivity
From: Davina Treiber <treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 04:16:49 -0400
On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 04:29:57 -0400, Gaddy <xy.0815 AT GMX DOT NET> wrote:

>Recently, I've got a document (from IBM)
>desribing the same naming problems for TSM :-)
>
>>It is recommended that because of the potentially changing nature
>>of \\.\Tapex names on Windows NT and Windows 2000 platforms
>>this naming convention is not used.
>>The alternative is to use a device alias name
>>in the form of mtx.y.z.n for all tape devices.
>>This identifies a device explicitly by
>>its SCSI Target ID, LUN, SCSI Bus Number and SCSI Port on the Host,
>>rather than by its Windows assigned device name.
>
>It's the very 1st time I've heard about these "DEVICE ALIAS NAMES".
>Do they realy exist?
>If NetWorker will accept this new naming conventions
>"almost all" my problems in the SAN are solved.

I think this must be TSM specific, to the best of my knowledge this will
not work in NetWorker. However, there is new functionality coming in
NetWorker called "device serialisation", which I think will allow you to
define a device in NetWorker to map directly to a WWPN, and this will be a
huge benefit on Windows systems. I don't think this went into 7.0 in any
useable fashion (I could be wrong), it may be coming in 7.1. Contact your
Legato sales rep or SE for better information than I can give.