Networker

Re: [Networker] Running sjimm on StorageTek L80?

2003-04-16 21:43:52
Subject: Re: [Networker] Running sjimm on StorageTek L80?
From: Jose Quinteiro <jquintei AT LEGATO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 18:35:00 -0700
nsrjb -HEv works on my L80 (firmware rev 0207).  You might want to
contact your StorageTek representative.

Saludos,
Jose.

George Sinclair wrote:
For most purposes, I agree that nsrjb is probably the best command to
use, but the one problem with nsrjb is that if NetWorker still thinks
there's a tape in the drive, it will insist on wanting to unload it
first before it will do anything else with the drive. There are times
when NetWorker can get confused and still believe a volume is in the
drive even though there isn't. I've seen this on occasion. If you
attempt to mount or inventory a tape to that device, you will see the
invalid argument error. Even if you try the 'nsrjb -ln' command to load
(no mount) a tape to that device, NetWorker will still error off because
it cannot unload a tape that it thinks is in there. Even rebooting the
server or stopping and re-starting the software will not fix this. One
way, of course, to fix the problem is to run the nsrjb command with a
hardware reset and init element status (nsrjb -HE), but this does not
seem to be supported on the STK L80, although it does run nicely on our
ATL libraries. But running it against the Storage Tek library only
causes the command to hang and eventually error off, causing a lot of
problems.

So, for the Storage Tek L80, I have to have a way to get a tape -- any
tape -- into the drive so NetWorker will have something to unload. The
L80 does not allow any tape manipulation from the gui panel or remotely
via a web browser. Instead, you must either open the door or use your
own software. I could open the door, but if I want to avoid doing that,
I can instead run the 'sjimm' command to move a tape into the drive. The
nice thing about sjimm is that NetWorker is not aware of what I'm doing
which is a good thing in this case. Once that tape is in the drive, I
can then carry out my NetWorker operation and this time NetWorker will
complete it since it now has something in the drive to unload.

George

Jose Quinteiro wrote:

Hello,

The sji commands are better documented in 7.0.  You can download the 7.0
command reference from the Legato website: Service & Support -> Manuals
-> Manuals & Supplements (menu item on the left) -> NetWorker for
Windows -> NetWorker for Windows, Rel. 7.0 -> Command Reference Guide ->
Downloads.  The 7.0 version of sjimm is documented there. It's very
similar to the 6.1.3 version.

In any case, I would use nsrjb to do what you propose:

nsrjb -d -P n -S m                #deposit from CAP n to slot m
nsrjb -ln -S m -f /path/to/device #place in drive
Do whatever
nsrjb -u -f /path/to/device       #unload drive to slot
nsrjb -w -S m -P n                #withdraw to port n

Saludos,
Jose.

George Sinclair wrote:

Anyone know if there's a way to move a tape from the CAP door on a
Storge Tek L80 directly to a drive without having to first use 'nsrjb
-d' to deposit it into a slot first?

I need to be able to load a non-NetWorker tape into a drive so I can tar
data to it and then remove it. I'm thinking to use 'nsrjb -d' to get the
tape into a slot, 'sjimm' to move it to the drive, 'mt -f rewind' when
tar is done and then 'sjimm' again to move back to the slot when I'm
done and then finally 'nsrjb -w' to return it to the CAP door, but I was
curious if I could somehow use sjimm to move it straight to the drive or
back to the CAP without using 'nsrjb'.

Thanks.

George