Networker

[Networker] Running savesets simultaneously?

2003-04-16 19:01:40
Subject: [Networker] Running savesets simultaneously?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 19:01:33 -0400
Hi,

What's the best way to back up the same saveset to two different tapes
simultaneously? Can this be done and if so, what is the best way?

Let's say I have a client that has 10 directories. I want to back up
each of these as a separate path (saveset) to a tape, maybe like 4 at a
time since my sessions per device is currently set to 4. I then want to
create a second copy of these on another tape. I was considering
cloning, but this seems not to be the best choice in this case, so I was
thinking rather than backing everything up once to one tape and then
repeating the process for the next tape, I would instead do it to both
tapes at the same time and finish in half the time. My client
parallelism is typically set to 4 on most of the clients.

Would it be possible for the client to send four save sessions to two
different devices? Maybe a client cannot back up the same session to
more than one device at a time? Not sure, never tried.

Thanks.

George