Networker

[Networker] eventid 50 warnings while backing up a W2K cluster SYSTEM STATE.

2003-04-11 11:50:03
Subject: [Networker] eventid 50 warnings while backing up a W2K cluster SYSTEM STATE.
From: Jon Hickmott <jonny AT UWO DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 11:49:26 -0400
Our environment:

   * 2 Windows 2000 advanced servers running cluster service
   * Shared cluster disks attached via fiber
        o Qlogic HBAs
        o Brocade silkworm switch
        o IBM FAStT700 Storage Array
   * Networker version 6.1.3 on client and server.
   * Networker server platform is a Sun Solaris 8 box

Our problem

     When performing a backup of the SYSTEM STATE of the Windows
     2000 client (just the local disks not the cluster disks) that
     is currently in charge of the cluster service we start to see
     the following warnings.

     eventid 50 "{Lost Delayed-Write Data} The system was
     attempting to transfer file data from buffers to
     \Device\HarddiskVolume4. The write operation failed, and only
     some of the data may have been written to the file."

     These warning occur in vast numbers and our clients lose
     access to their areas on the cluster disks. The cluster
     service does not fail. When manually failed over to the other
     server all returns to normal for the cluster service.
     \Device\HarddiskVolume4 is one of the cluster disks which we
     are not backing up. These warnings seem to have something to
     do with cache on the disk. We have turned off write cache on
     all disks and still the warnings come.

     This problem started when we modified the fiber environment.
     Before the servers were directly attached to the FAStT700
     storage array. Now they are attached through the brocade
     switches.

My question

     What goes on when NetWorker performs the SYSTEM STATE, SYSTEM
     FILES and SYSTEM DB Savesets. Is there a process that may
     effect the state of the disks or force out a clearing of
     cache? Should we have some specific settings for these fabric
     attached disks.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Jon

--
Jon Hickmott - jonny AT uwo DOT ca - NSC211c - (519) 661-2111x86025
Unix/Database administrator - ITS - UWO

"There are only 10 kinds of people in the world --
   Those who understand binary, and those who don't."