Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker Laptop / Open file question

2003-04-09 14:46:43
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker Laptop / Open file question
From: Dave Mussulman <mussulma AT CS.UIUC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 13:46:36 -0500
On Fri, Apr 04, 2003 at 02:16:09PM -0600, Ty Young wrote:
> We use NetWorker Laptop here, and we really like it a lot.
>
> In the event that NWL finds a file it needs to back up which is currently
> open, it marks the file internally and then tries at a later time to back
> that file up again.

Meaning that if a PST file is open in Outlook, and not backed up, NWL
will wait until Outlook is closed and then get the file when it's in a
closed state?

We're looking at NWL for our laptops, and potentially more of our
desktop systems, especially if it handles open files gracefully.  We
were not satified with Legato/St. Bernard's Open File Manager (with its
administration ... we didn't even get it to the point where we could
evaluate its open file handling.)

So far, the best solutions I've come up with for open files under
Windows are user education ("close the programs before the backups run,"
(or at least understand the consequences if you don't,)) and utilities
that make cold backups of individual data files.  (Microsoft has a
Personal Folders Backup tools which makes cold copies of PST files after
a configurable amount of days.)  We have database scripts that make cold
copies of those.

What are other people doing about open files?

Dave