Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker 7.0

2003-04-02 20:22:54
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker 7.0
From: George Scott <George.Scott AT ITS.MONASH.EDU DOT AU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 11:12:20 +1000
Rule 1: never use revision 0 of _anything_ in production.

Rule 2: for companies that use revision 0 as their beta test avoid
revision 1 as well.

Legato seems to add new code with every little release which means that
there is always some revision 0 code in the product somewhere.  This
leaves us with a dilemma...

> So it took you about 4 minutes to find a bug?

That is about how long it took me to find the first problem with 6.1.2
after I upgraded from 5.5.5.  Par for the course.

At the end of the first day I had around 10 issues, so I phoned them
all through at the same time.  It was taking so long that the
telephonist had to hang up and call me back later; she was the only one
on and her call queue was banking up.  While I was waiting for her to
call me back I found another couple of issues.

Only a few of the calls have been resolved to my satisfaction.  The
others were mostly fob-offs and kludgy work-arounds.

The best part of the whole experience was the call logging and tracking
system; it seems to be a huge improvement over the old one.  Part of
this praise should go to the telephonist; she did a great job.

George.
--
George Scott           George.Scott AT its.monash DOT edu
Systems Programmer, IT Services, Monash University