Networker

[Networker] The use of null in unix directives?

2003-03-31 18:36:53
Subject: [Networker] The use of null in unix directives?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 18:36:51 -0500
Hi,

I have a Unix client, and a situation where I need to preserve index
entries for all the files under all its file systems. I have two
instances of this client as each uses a different schedule and group.
The first instance lists only three pathnames:

/raid/dir1
/raid/dir2
/raid/dir3

for savesets, and uses the "Unix standard directives". The other
instance lists 'All' but uses a custom directive to skip these three
pathnames. The problem is that I need this second client instance to
grab everything else under /raid like dir4, 5, or whatever. I know that
if I use skip or +skip, as opposed to null or +null, then the next full
will wipe out the previous index entries for dir1, 2 and 3 that the
first instance created, and I need to keep everything. I guess I'm
confused about which of the following directives to employ for client
instance 2 so the previous index entries will not be overwritten:

<< /raid >>
null: dir1
null: dir2
null: dir3

or

<< /raid >>
+null: dir1
+null: dir2
+null: dir3

If I don't use '+' will I only see dir1, 2 and 3 but no files
underneath? Will it be necessary for me to use the '+' in order to see
all the entries for files nestled how ever far down under these
locations?

Thanks.

George