Networker

Re: [Networker] Small problem...

2003-03-28 04:14:19
Subject: Re: [Networker] Small problem...
From: Davina Treiber <treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 04:14:19 -0500
On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 18:29:09 -0500, Eric LeBlanc <leblance AT VIDEOTRON DOT COM>
wrote:

>Here, I have a tape with bootstrap, and apparently a media indexes in this
>tape:
>
>Problem: i don't have a licence of legato, jsute binaries (my company cut
>budget in backup.. so we don't have backup anymore (i know, it's stupid,
>but it's not my decision)
>
>So!  I can read tape with scanner, I know where my bootstrap file, etc...
>
>What I want: How can I recover ALL files in the tape ?  I mean: restore
>every file, one by one,  in the directory of my choice, and then, I can
>browse in this directory to find what I want..  What is the command?  It's
>is possible without indexes/bootstrap, etc ?
>
>I tried with "/usr/local/bin/tar -xvf /dev/rmt/0cbn -C /tmp/files_in_tape",
>but it's seem they use a custom software to store in tape...

It is a custom format, the Open Tape Format is used in order to get the
efficiencies of multi-streaming. It is an open standard, however having
said that, no-one else uses it or has written utilities that use it.

No matter, you can use NetWorker to read your tape. NetWorker will function
for recoveries without licences by design. You will be able to use the
basic functionality, although you may not be able to use jukeboxes.

If you don't want to install NetWorker fully, you can use the scanner
command and pipe it into uasm. The scanner man page details how to do this.